The Susan Laughter Meyers Fellowship in Poetry is an annual merit-based residency at the Weymouth Center in Southern Pines, NC, for one North Carolina or South Carolina poet. The Fellowship is co-sponsored by the North Carolina Poetry Society (NCPS) and the Weymouth Center for the Arts and Humanities and includes a one-week residency at Weymouth Center and a stipend for a North or South Carolina poet.
1. Application Process
(May 1-July 31, 2018).
* Applicants will submit a single document of 5 pages of poetry. One poem per page for short poems. Longer works may be continued on one or more pages. Manuscript should be in 12 pt. type, Times New Roman or another standard typeface.
* Poems may be previously published – we are looking for examples of the applicant’s best work.
* All submissions will be considered “blind” and the applicant’s name or other identifying information should not appear anywhere on the manuscript.
* Application fee: $15 for NCPS members and $20 for nonmembers
* The winner will be notified by the end of September.
Potential applicants, please note that Weymouth Center is an historic building and is not ADA compliant. All rooms for writers are on the second floor, accessible only by stairs.
* Current residents of North and South Carolina are eligible for the Fellowship.
* Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
* A Fellowship recipient may not apply for a period of three years following the winning application.
3. The Fellowship
* A one-week residency at Weymouth Center to be completed within a year of notification
* A $500 stipend (the recipient must provide transportation to and from Weymouth Center, all meals during the residency and linens, including sheets and towels)
* Publication of a poem in Pinesong, the annual NCPS anthology of award winning poems
* An opportunity to read and/or present a program at an NCPS meeting at Weymouth Center
* The Fellowship recipient may be asked to serve on the selection committee for the following year.
*Your donations to Weymouth Center and/or North Carolina Poetry Society via Submittable will go toward helping to sustain the Fellowship. All donations are optional and will not affect submission status or chances of winning.
*You may submit to both the Cos Barnes Fellowship in Fiction and the Susan Laughter Meyers Poetry Fellowship at Weymouth.
To submit to the Cos Barnes Fellowship in Fiction, here's the link.